A cancer-causing gas could exist in your home

POSTED: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 3:10pm
UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 8:54am

WACO -- Last week we told you about a deadly gas that could harm or even kill you in your own home and you would never even know it.

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smoking Americans and experts say the odorless, tasteless gas affects one in every 15 American homes.

That makes it the number one in-home hazard and millions of people are unknowingly exposed.

"Radon is a radioactive gas that is produced by the soil. Our homes are built, more tightly to have better, insulation and better heating and cooling qualities. So you, so we tend to trap that gas from the soil more," said Dr. Mark Klepper, specialist in pulmonary medicine at Providence hospital. 

That very reason is why Dr. Klepper says the hazard of radon has increased in the last 10 years.

For more information on radon prevention you can go to: http://epa.gov/radon


 

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment