UPDATE: Roads beginning to thaw out in Temple
***UPDATE*** 2:45 p.m.: As of 2:00 pm, most of the below roadways have become passable, due to sunshine melting the ice. This is expected to be a TEMPORARY situation, with remaining moisture re-freezing when the sun sets. Shaded areas of roadway will REMAIN ICY, and travel on these roads is still inadvisable. Police and Street Department personnel will continue to monitor road conditions throughout the night. Re-closings will be posted as necessary.
The following roadways are closed or impassable due to ice, as of noon. Even with Street Department crews sanding these areas, the ice is re-freezing to the point that these roads remain closed, and more roadways are expected to close as the day progresses. Updates to follow approximately every two hours.
• West Adams Avenue, from Westgate to Apache Drives
• Midway drive, on the hill near Bonham Middle School
• Charter Oak Drive, under the Rail Road underpass
• South 1st St. and West Avenue H OPEN AS OF 11:45 AM
• S. 31st Street intersection with E.R. entrance to Scott and White Hospital OPEN AS OF 10:45 AM
• S. 31st Street, Loop overpass and incline area near Market Loop OPEN AS OF 10:45 AM
• South Kegley Road, from West Adams Avenue all the way to Charter Oak Drive
• Hickory Drive, near intersection with Stratford Drive
State highways, such as Interstate 35, Hwy. 36, and Loop 363 remain OPEN at this time, though travel on highways should only be done with extreme caution.
If you must drive, remember:
• Don't drive unless you absolutely have to
• Use very long following distances
• Let your ABS brakes work, and do not pulse the brakes if your car has ABS
• Turn, brake, and accelerate very slowly and gradually
• Be patient, and take your time
***NOTE: MORE CITY CLOSURES:
• City residential garbage pickup services will also be suspended for the day, due to worsening road conditions.
• City of Temple offices are closed for the day, as all non-essential personnel are advised to stay home.
• Summit Family Fitness Center is closed for the day, and planning to open tomorrow at noon.
• Sammons Community Center closed, planned reopening at noon tomorrow.
• Sammons Indoor Pool closed, planned reopening at noon tomorrow.
• Wilson Park Recreation Center closed, planned reopening at noon tomorrow.
From Temple Police Department