UPDATED: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 10:16pm
BRYAN, Tx (KYLE) — It's a phone call no homeowner ever wants to receive but it's one Sherrilynn Richards got Thursday from her mother telling her that her house on McAshan Street in Bryan was on fire.
"By the time I got to the first corner I saw all the smoke and when I got to the last corner I saw all the trucks and that let me know it was really really real and I was flooded with emotion," Richards said.
Fire investigators say the blaze broke out in the front bedroom.
It's the bedroom where Richards' children sleep and the room they had just been in five minutes before the fire started.
"The neighbors told us the daughter is usually in there so normally we'll do two searches," said Bryan Fire Marshal, Fred Taylor. "The first one is a primary which is a quick run through and then we'll do a secondary after everything is knocked down but we did about three or four searches to make sure nobody was home."
Heat and water damage is throughout the entire structure but the extensive damage was contained to the front of the house.
Everything in the children's bedroom was destroyed except for one thing...
"All the books were burned but one.and which book do you thing that was? Not burned and not wet, which book was it?" asked Richards. "The bible, so it let me know."
Richards says she's planning on taking it day by day but no matter what happens she has her family and her faith and they'll all be ok.
"God has my back and I shouldn't worry and if I do worry I can go read that book. Of all books that burned that one didn't and I have comfort and confirmation that all is well."