Waco (KWKT) — The Better Business Bureau has received over 7,500 complaints against landscaping and lawn maintenance contractors in the past 12 months. Many of the complaints received are of dissatisfaction with the service, companies not performing their agreed upon duties or discrepancies with advertisement or billing.
The BBB has released five tips on how to can choose the right service provider without the headache.
- Know what you want from a lawn service: Lawn care companies provide many services, so it is important to decide what services and products are appropriate for your needs and budget.
- Find a trustworthy company: Go to bbb.org to check the company’s BBB Business Review. You can find important background on the business, such as how long it has been in business, advertising issues, ownership information and how it resolves complaints.
- Check references. Ask the company for references and photos of previously completed projects. Call all references, and ask about their experience working with the company and if they were satisfied with the services provided
- Ask for a lawn inspection and free estimate. Lawn care companies that quote a price without seeing your lawn may not give you an accurate estimate. A company should be willing to visit your home to provide you with an agreed upon fee.
- Get a written agreement. A contract should clearly state the services you will receive, guarantees and refund policies, as well as how and when payment will be handled. If you are using a recurring service, the contract should also include how often the company will come out to work on your lawn, how to cancel the service and a schedule for when payments are due.