UPDATED: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 - 11:31pm
COLLEGE STATION, Tx (KYLE) — A gas main break in College Station today closes one of the busiest streets and forces a local business to evacuate.
The gas leak happened just before 10:30 Tuesday morning when construction crews working to replace a water line on Harvey Road struck the two-inch Atmos Energy gas pipe.
Harvey Road between Scarlet O'Hara and Munson Drive was immediately closed to traffic in both directions and the Mattress Sleepcenters was evacuated as a precaution.
"Natural gas is lighter than air, therefore; it tends to rise," said Bart Humphreys with the College Station Fire Department. "With the breeze like we have today and the gases rising, the breeze is actually helping to dissipate it. We're doing constant atmospheric checks downwind and we're not picking up any significant levels of gas."
It took repair crews more than four hours to fix the damaged pipe.