Spontaneous combustion fire, thousands of hay bails burned
UPDATED: Friday, June 1, 2012 - 10:26pm
TEMPLE -- Wednesday night, a local farmer watched three months of work go up in flames, and Thursday the burning continues.
Around seven a fire broke out in north Temple on Brewster drive.
Fire crews say it was spontaneous combustion and the hay went up in flames in a matter of minutes.
About 350 round bails of hay and 1,600 square bails were destroyed meaning a financial loss of roughly 40,000 dollars.
"In order to rebuild where we really need to be for our cattle for the next winter, and a possible drought this summer, we've got to get some rain and we've got to get some more hay in the barn," Patricia Davis, wife and property owner with husband Greg Davis, said.
Eleven fire engines were on the scene until 10 this morning.
They expect the fire to burn for at least a few more days.