Watches & Warnings Warnings
7 Day Forecast 7 Day Forecast
Temperatures 7 Day Forecast

UPDATE: Suspect arrested in drive-by shooting that injured Waco baby

Waco Police Department
Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 3:30pm

UPDATE (Thursday, October 18th): A man has been arrested in connection with the drive by shooting that left a Waco baby in critical condition.

Waco Police obtained two warrants on Thursday for the arrest of 24 year-old Samuel Henry, Jr. of Waco.

Henry was already serving time in the McLennan County Jail.

He had been arrested on an unrelated charge of Driving While Intoxicated early Thursday morning in the 2100 block of Maple. He had also been charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance after Police discovered that he was carrying crack cocaine.

During an investigation of the drive-by shooting, Waco Police detectives were able to connect Henry to the crime.

He has now also been charged with Injury to a Child for the gunshot wound that baby Dmar Caufield suffured during the incident.

He will also be charged with Aggravated Assault for wounding Craig Mays.

UPDATE (Wednesday 7:40 pm): 7-month-old Dmar Caufield underwent surgery Wednesday morning for his injuries and is holding his own at this point.

Caufield has been described by medical staff as stable on ventilation, but still very critical.

Original Story: A Waco baby is in critical condition, after undergoing surgery for a gunshot wound to the head.

According to Waco Police Department, officers responded to a 911 call of a shooting Wednesday morning in the 1600 block of North 18th Street around 1:40 a.m. When they arrived, officers found 7-month-old Dmar E. Caufield and 38-year-old Craig Mays had both been wounded by gunfire. Caufield was shot in the head, and Mays had shrapnel wounds to his arm.

Officers found the mother of Caufield standing in the front yard, holding him. Because of the severity of the baby's gunshot wound, officers immediately loaded the baby and mother in a police car and transported them to a local hospital for treatment. Mays was also taken to a local hospital by private vehicle, where he was treated and released.

The initial investigation reveals that unknown shooter(s) fired at the house numerous times. One of the bullets struck the sleeping 7-month-old baby in the head. An additional round struck Mays. He also had been sleeping in the home. Four other individuals were in the home at the time of the shooting: the wounded infant’s mother and father and two other children ages 6 and 10. Mays and Caufield were the only ones struck by gunfire.

Witnesses described being awakened by gunfire into the home and then discovered the baby and Mays had been shot. They did not see anyone nor were vehicles observed at the time of the shooting.

The injured baby was transferred from a local hospital by helicopter to Temple and at last check was undergoing surgery and listed in critical condition.

Police have no motive or additional suspect/vehicle information from the shooting.


Comments News Comments

Post new Comment