UPDATED: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 3:57pm
Moody, TX — A Moody family is left homeless, following an overnight house fire Monday.
According to Moody Fire Chief, Mike Alton, the fire started around 11:30 p.m. at 1536 North Blue Cut Road. When firefighters arrived, within 12 minutes, Alton said the male homeowner was waiting in the driveway, and he managed to get the four other occupants outside of the home. At that point, the house was halfway engulfed in flames.
Alton says high winds caused the fire to spread rapidly, causing the home to be destroyed. Four Moody fire trucks, two McGregor fire trucks, and one Bruceville-Eddy tanker was on scene to help put out the fire. Moody firefighters stayed on scene until 4 a.m. to put out hot spots.
According to Alton, the family is staying with other family members who live in the city. Alton says the homeowner told him he put out a fire he was burning in the fireplace before going to bed. Within an hour of him falling to sleep, Alton says the homeowner was awakened by one of the children who saw the fire. The homeowner, Alton says, believes the fire came from something inside of the wall next to the fireplace.