UPDATED: Monday, January 7, 2013 - 9:16pm
Temple, TX — A Temple man received burns from a kitchen fire Sunday afternoon.
Temple Fire & Rescue responded to the 700 Block of West Park Avenue for a possible house fire. The first unit on scene reported light smoke coming from a single story wood-framed residence. All occupants were outside of the home. Firefighters entered the smoke-filled house and determined the fire, which had come from the stove, had been extinguished. They checked for fire extension and removed smoke with fans. Total damages to the house and its contents is estimated to be around $1,000.
Temple Fire Department Paramedics, along with Scott & White EMS Paramedics provided care to a middle-aged man with burns. Though painful, the burns are believed to be non life-threatening. He was transported to Scott & White Hospital for treatment.
Neighbors say the man's face was severely burned.
Fire investigation determined the fire was unintentional. The wife was in the kitchen cooking when a pan of oil overheated and caught fire. She called to her husband who came into the kitchen and tried to help. He received thermal burns while attempting to remove the burning pan from the stove. He also slipped and fell from oil which splashed onto the floor.
Cooking equipment, most often a range or stovetop is the leading cause of reported home fires and home fire injuries in the United States. Temple Fire & Rescue along with the United States Fire Administration (USFA) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offer the following cooking tips:
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• Never cook when you’re sleepy or under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication.
• Keep the stovetop clean and clear of items which can burn such as pot holders, towels and food packaging.
• If the oil starts to boil (bubbling), remove it from the heat source. Just lowering the temperature of the burner will not reduce the heat quickly enough, especially on an electric stovetop.
• Be careful not to over-fill your pan or pot with oil. You need enough room in the pan to allow for the food to be added. If you have too much oil in the pan, oil is likely to overflow the pan and contact the burner, where it can catch fire.
• If the oil catches fire, wearing an oven mitt, carefully slide a lid over the pan to smother the fire. Turn off the burner. Keep the pan covered until the oil cools to prevent it from starting again.
• If the oil has overflowed from the pan and ignites, get everyone out of the home and call the fire department from outside.
Five Engine Companies, one Truck Company, one Fire Incident Commander; a total of 19 Temple Fire & Rescue personnel responded to the call. Temple Police also responded. The call was dispatched at 2:32 p.m. The first unit arrived at 2:38 p.m. The last unit cleared at 3:40 p.m.