MADISON COUNTY, Tx (KYLE) — Fire fighters battled a different kind of blaze late last night in Madison County.
Just before 7:00 last night a natural gas compressor at the Energy Transfer plant off Bundic Road ignited sending 30 to 40 foot flames up in the air.
It took more than 20 fire fighters from four different departments to get the blaze under control.
Several homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution but we're told no one was hurt and no other property was damaged.
"The plants themselves have so many built-in safety measures that they will shut themselves down at a certain point but last night because of the flame and the proximity to the gas line, the employees were on scene almost immediately and they were able to shut down the gas valves and basically removed all the danger from the area," said Madison County Sheriff investigator, Larry Shiver.
The cause of the fire is believed to have started because of a failed engine.
The Atmos Energy plant next door was not affected by the fire.