UPDATED: Monday, June 3, 2013 - 3:34pm
COLLEGE STATION, Tx (KYLE) — A cigarette left on a College Station balcony early Sunday morning caused a number of apartment tenants to be homeless.
The College Station Fire Department responded to the Sonoma apartment homes off Dartmouth early Sunday morning around 2:30.
When they arrived a second story balcony was already on fire.
It quickly spread to the attic, causing significant damage to the inside of the structure.
And the cause? A cigarette butt left on the balcony.
Officials say it fell off the railing and got stuck between some paneling, igniting the blaze.
"The second floor balcony and railing were all wood and as wood ages, it gets drier even with the high humidity we had at that particular time so depending on how much breeze you have it may not take as long as you would think [for it to catch fire]," said Bart Humphreys.
A few hours after firefighters got the Sonoma apartment homes fire under control, they got two other house fire calls.
We're told no one was home at either fire and no one was injured in the first blaze.