BRYAN -- A early morning fire destroys a Bryan building and tonight a local business is left trying to pick up the pieces and figure out how to move on.
Around 12:30 this morning Brent Sowell, owner of Brazos Furniture Clearance Center, got the call any business owner dreads, his building was on fire.
"It was a shock at first and then I looked over at my wife because we were getting ready to go to bed and I looked over and was like holy cow, there's smoke coming out of the front door, I gotta go," said Sowell.
When he surveyed the damage he was overwhelmed by what he saw.
"Everything is damaged. The smoke or it's fire or it's wet and so it's the three things you don't want in a furniture store."
But that wasn't the only thing that had Sowell speechless. Community members showed up early this morning to help clean up from the fire.
"Even before I got here this morning, you know I tried to get at least an hour of sleep and stuff but I had friends here already that had masks on inside and digging around and they were already started."
Family friend, Maureen Floyd didn't think twice about coming in on her day off to help. She said, "It's just the right thing to do. You know, the wheels, it could be turned the other way at a second and you could be in that position and it would be really hard to take care of it yourself."
Bobby Lewis, an employee of Sowell's said, "We're like family. We're definitely family. I mean I'm stuck for words."
Even though Sowell's inventory is damaged he says he won't let the fire put him out of business. Sowell plans to relocate and reopen as soon as possible.