UPDATED: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 9:54am
WACO -- An empty lot where Sanger Avenue Elementary School once stood is now at the forefront of a new movement.
"Those of us in Sanger Heights feel like the neighborhood is kinda on the verge of a new renaissance, of sorts, and we really feel like Sanger Heights is the next premiere urban neighborhood in Waco," said Chad Klawetter, president of Sanger Heights Neighborhood Association.
And the vacant lot located on Sanger Avenue between 17th and 18th Street is the perfect catalyst to revitalize the neighborhood.
"A lot of folks are interested in seeing a low-density, mixed-income housing development on that site," said Klawetter.
Meaning 20 or fewer apartment units, or single-family homes, with 70 percent of the dwellings listed at the market rate and the other 30 percent priced for lower-income residents.
But it's not just about living space.
"In addition to what actually physically gets built there is also going to send a message to the neighborhood and to Waco. We want that message to be Sanger Heights is getting a lot better," said Klawetter.
The association will work with the public at a meeting on March 26 at 6 p.m. and once they've decided what to build they'll present it to the city for a final decision.
Hopefully within the next six months.